Friday, September 3, 2010

Digital Illustrations

Ok, so I'm going to be working backwards for these first few posts, hang in there with me. These drawings were our third assignment experimenting with different media and methods to create line art. This time, doing everything digitally. NOT FUN. I've never been a huge fan of drawing, so at first I thought "Finally! Skip the drawing by hand and go straight to the computer!!" However, I have been converted. This process was absolutely miserable. I had very little control over the line (couldn't draw a straight line to save my life) so many of these ended up looking like Kindergarten drawings to bring home and hang on the fridge with an ABC magnet. This process also took FOREVER!!!! Here's what I came up with though:


I think this one might be my favorite of the 5. I like the way the blades of the windmill turned out.

This one turned out ok. I think the line on the actual bridge looks good, but the shadow and horizon lines look kind of funny. If I were doing it again, I would use a finer line, I think.

For this illustration, I wanted to experiment with suggesting the edges of the faucets without actually drawing them in. It wasn't as successful as I had hoped though (thus the funny-looking thick line at the top of the nearer faucet).

This drawing started out well as I drew in the shadows below the horizontal boards on this playhouse. However, the door in the background and the depth on the window didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.

This was the first illustration I did for this set. Many hours later, I think the main building turned out well. I like the effect that was created by just drawing the shadows and recessed parts of the building/parking garage. If I had had a little more time, I would have gone back and made the surrounding buildings more believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment